Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hanoi I – Scooters, Ice Cream, Turtles




 Dear Class,

Last week we made a trip to Hanoi, Vietnam. There is always a hustle bustle in Hanoi and the guys on motorbikes like to graze your shirt with their rear view mirrors.




If you asked me what the most dangerous thing I had done in my life? Well it was probably crossing the street in Vietnam. The key is to walk as slowly as you possibly can that way bikers see you and swerve out of your way. 




Trust me it makes you feel like a living security cone.




They have restaurants that I like to refer to as police stands. You sit on these little plastic chairs like the ones we used to have in kindergarten. Why? Because in Hanoi it's illegal to sit on the side of the street. Why? I have no idea. So back to the plastic chairs, it is easy for the owner to pick them up and away when the police come. Why? I already told you. So after the police pass every one gets their chairs and food back out and they continue to talk and eat and continue to have a good time. Why?-~--~-Will you cut it out with the why stuff already!!!     




Hanoi in the day time is still wonderful even without all of the fancy neon snowflakes. We have a favorite ice cream place called Fanny. Fanny is a French ice cream place with stuff as weird as coffee sushi ice cream or the alcoholic Amazonia shake with green crème de menthe.




Speaking of Fanny right next to it is the Hoan Kiem Lake or Restored Sword Lake. 




I will give you a quick summarization of why it is called this. (The time period of this was 1406 so boys don’t be expecting guns)  So this commander named Le Loi finds this magic sword and he uses it to beat the Chinese solders of the Ming dynasty who are currently occupying the country. Once he beats them a turtle comes to Le Loi to retrieve the sword while he is taking a leisure ride on the lake. There actually are turtles in the lake like that, colored like obsidian and as big as me.


   

Le Loi's memorial in a dragon temple by the lake.




Well if you're not satisfied then that’s ok because I will be writing three more blogs on Hanoi and its leisure tours. The three different tours are on Halong Bay (beaches), food tour (I ate silk worms) and village tour (MSG).


Sincerely,


Parker


P.S. If you don't write me a class letter within the next three days I will stop writing you. I am tired of talking to nobody. 




P.P.S. (Pam) Yes, that's Parker with Anthony Foxx. Mayor Foxx was visiting China to promote Charlotte to Chinese businessmen, and we got a chance to see him when he was in Shanghai. Parker tried to give him bunny ears, but said that his head was too big, so only the tip of one finger showed. We liked the name tags because they all said VIP.



No comments:

Post a Comment